Unavailable fonts

Lizak, Samantha samantha_lizak at mentor.com
Tue Jul 6 07:44:44 PDT 2010

Richard suggests just turning off the "Remember missing font names". In
the past, I have had unavailable fonts turn up in legacy documents where
that trick did not work.

If the font is in an default paragraph format of an unused table type,
save the file as .mif and search on the font name. You can either change
it there, or simply remove the table type definition from the mif.

If you save as .mif and the font does not show up, chances are it is in
an imported graphic. Some types seem to carry font information in their
metadata, even though the text is not separately selectable. The
fast-and-dirty workaround (because of course this always turns up when
you are trying to meet a deadline) is to take a screen capture of the
graphic and replace the offender. (Captures from PDF usually look better
than captures from the FM itself, if you have a decent PDF around.)

Incidentally, I am guessing you want to run this check before opening
the file because you have a script that batch processes the files. (We
do, too.) If there is a way to do this, the guys that maintain our batch
scripts haven't lit on it; the scripts exit with an informative error
instead. And that is why I have gotten good at hunting these things
down. :-)

Regards-

Sam.