From DocBook to FrameMaker

mathieu jacquet bobitch at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 7 07:27:52 PDT 2010

My post might be unclear because I do not know neither DocBook nor structured Frame.

I created a Getting Started Guide in unstructured Frame. As said before, it is really light (cover, TOC, LOF, LOT, 3 chapters). The client is very happy with styles, content, etc.

Now, he is telling me that his/her developers have a lot of content in DocBook format. He would like this content to be imported in Frame, for a PDF to be produced from it using the styles I created in my unstructured FM doc.

He would also like my Frame content (I am now working on user guides and so on) to be converted into DocBook format (well, XML, or even HTML format) for insertion into their Confluence Wiki.

In a word, he would like:
. me to write in Frame to produce my own documentation, then export it into PDF and XML/HTML for insertion into their Confluence Wiki.
. his/her developers to produce their own documentation (when too technical for me) in their Confluence Wiki (DocBook or DITA format, he told me), then import it in my FM doc (as appendixes for example).

So what would be the best solution for me and them ?

For me, just generate what I produced in flat FrameMaker as XML or HTML, and have them insert the HTML content into their Confluence wiki using the proper CSS ?
For them, just give me their content, which I would copy as plain text in my flat FM files, then apply required FM styles and generate the PDF ?

Thank you all for your help,
Mathieu.