FM9 Newbie looking for best self training tools

Shmuel Wolfson shmuelw1 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 12 01:32:09 PDT 2010

Word uses Paragraph and Character Styles - Frame uses Paragraph and
Character Tags. You define Tags in the Paragraph or Character Designer
(Format > Paragraph/Character > Designer).

A Marker is a thick T that stores hidden information, such as an index
entry or hidden text. Frame automatically adds a Marker at the
destination of a cross-reference, when you create the cross-reference.

Frame is a good tool. It's not as easy to learn as Word, but it is more
powerful. I recommend sticking with unstructured for now. There is a lot
of single-sourcing you can do with unstructured, including the task you
were given to do.

To do the task below, create a new book (File > New > Book), then add
files to the book (Add > Files). You can create several books, sharing
some of the same files. In Frame, you usually work with several files in
a book. You can then add a TOC (Add > Table of Contents). Formatting the
TOC is one of the annoying things in Frame. Use on of your books for
that, or import the Reference Pages from another TOC (File > Import >
Formats).

Any other questions, just ask.

Regards,
Shmuel Wolfson