FM9 Newbie looking for best self training tools

Pinkham, Jim Jim.Pinkham at voith.com
Mon Jul 12 06:53:19 PDT 2010

I second the motion for O'Keefe and the Scriptorium gang: great book,
good resources on the web site.

I'm a power user of Word, also, Corrie, and have used it for 13 years. I
just spent 23 hours this weekend mucking around in Word and Publisher to
get a manual formatted for a client. The entire thing will be less than
200 pp., but it's still a work in progress -- huge mish-mash of styles
to begin with, lots of ad hoc formatting, loads of tabular material, all
the original images embedded in the Word doc and only available there
until extracted. In some cases, it's been line by line and cell by cell
getting things right. Although I respect both Word and Publisher as
tools, and despite my familiarity and comfort with them, I have to say,
putting it as charitably as possible, that they probably weren't the
best choice for the job.

For what I was doing, InDesign, Quark, or FrameMaker probably would have
made my life significantly easier. For what you're talking about,
FrameMaker seems like a slam-dunk.

Don't despair if Frame seems daunting at first. For the first six weeks
I worked with it (FM 6 at the time), I was ready to throw it out the
window. It took several months before I began to feel reasonably fluent.
I was still learning new things for a long while after that. For that
matter, I'm still learning things about Frame and refining my skills.
And this list is a huge resource for making the road a much smoother one
to travel. The good news is, despite the nuances, it really doesn't take
very long to get to work in Frame and start doing the things you want to
do.