Changing image file linked to --- framers Digest, Vol 57, Issue 13

rinch at Inficon.com rinch at Inficon.com
Fri Jul 16 11:00:50 PDT 2010

This works great. I've done it for my ever changing world of software
screen shots with great success. But, you have to make sure the new
graphic is the same size and resolution as the old graphic. That is, if
the old graphic was 3x5 inches at 300 dpi, then the new graphic has to be
3x5 at 300 dpi. Otherwise, you'll have to tweak every graphic in
FrameMaker, and that's exactly what you are trying to avoid.

Richard

Tony Marek <tony.marek at pdf.com>
Sent by: framers-bounces at lists.frameusers.com
07/16/2010 01:31 PM

framers at lists.frameusers.com, dharding at illinois.edu
cc

Subject
Re: Changing image file linked to --- framers Digest, Vol 57, Issue 13

Hi Dan -- I recently had to do something similar and the Frame Forum got
me the solution. I think it will work for you.

   1. Back up the file in which you want to change the graphic reference
      -- in case you mess it up with this solution.
   2. Save the Frame file  as a .mif file.
   3. Open the .mif file in Notepad or some other text editor.
   4. Find and replace all instances of the graphic's file name with the
      new name.
   5. Save the text file.
   6. Put your new graphic in the same referenced location as the old one.
   7. Open the modified .mif in Frame.
   8. Check to see if the replacement worked.
   9. Save the .mif back to its original .fm file name.

Good luck,
Tony

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 07:29:56 -0500
> From: "Harding, Dan" <dharding at illinois.edu>
> To: "framers at lists.frameusers.com" <framers at lists.frameusers.com>
> Subject: Changing image file linked to?
<4C7DB57DB4CCE948AD27F86FA71E431C0406A584F45A at ACES-EXCHANGE2.college.acesnet.uiuc.edu>

> Am using FM9/Win 7 64-bit.
>
> I can do what I want to do in InDesign, QuarkXpress, and PageMaker, but
for some reason this functionality appears to be absent in FrameMaker,
which is utterly dain bramaged.

> I have a placed image in multiple places in a FrameMaker document. The
image is placed by reference, not embedded. I now want to link to a
different graphic (annual updates).

> Re-placing the image a zillion times is not an option, as the sizing and
position is already set. I just want to change what FrameMaker is linking
to.

> For the life of me, I cannot find where or even if, I can do this.
>
> The inelegant solution would be to simply move or rename the
currently-linked-to file on the hard drive, and rename the new graphic to
the same name as the old one. I do not like that option at all, as there
are some instances in other documents that I still wish to link to the old
image file.

> Is FrameMaker's link handling really this clumsy and archaic? In the
other applications I refer to above, I would either go to a links palette
and change the destination or right-click on an image and relink it. In
FrameMaker, the "Object Properties" dialog appears to only report the
location of the referenced file, not allow you to change it.

--

*Tony marek
*/Technical Publications Manager

/

*PDF SOLUTIONS*
333 W. SAN CARLOS STREET, SUITE 700
SAN JOSE, CA  95110

/tel/ 408.283.5636
/fax/ 408.280.7915
/email  /tony.marek at pdf.com_
____
www.pdf.com <http://www.pdf.com/>

_

/The information in this email and any attachments to it may be
confidential and/or privileged. Unless you are the intended recipient
(or authorized to receive it on behalf of the intended recipient), you
may not use, copy, or disclose to anyone the message or attachments, in
whole or in part. If you believe that you have received the message in
error, please delete it forever from your systems and trash, and advise
the sender by reply email.  © 2010 PDF Solutions Inc.  All rights
reserved./

__