type vs enter

Alison Craig Alison.Craig at ultrasonix.com
Tue Jul 20 15:19:19 PDT 2010

I just did a quick Internet search on Simplified Technical English and found this example at http://www.simplifiedenglish.net/controlled-language-global-english (at the bottom of the web page under Industry Examples, select Software).

Step 2 (below) specifically says "...enter the IP address of the system..." which sounds to me like they want you to type it in. Step 3 is more of the same.

So "enter" seems to be the term of choice.

Alison

Use VXX Web to get access to the system:

1. On a computer, open a web browser.
2. In the address bar of the web browser, enter the IP address of the system,
   for example, http://10.11.12.13, to go to VXX Web. If Security Mode is
   enabled on the system, you must use "secure HTTPS access", for example,
   https://10.11.12.13. Click Yes in the security dialog boxes that show.
3. Enter admin as the user name, and enter the remote access password, if
   one is set.