Frame X-REFs in Text Inset not Active in Book PDF

Wed Jul 21 18:39:50 PDT 2010

Graham, Jasmine S wrote:

> Structured Frame 8.0 (TCS1), XP, importing procedures written in text
> insets into multiple books. I found today that any cross-references within
> the text insets are not getting picked up as active cross-references in the
> book PDF. Any other normal X-REFs are working fine. No X-REF errors when
> updating the book in Frame. All X-REFs are updating correctly (all
> numbering is correct). Just can't click these x-ref links in the PDF to
> jump to the destination being referenced.

This is a long-standing bug (I've only dealt with it in unstructured FM, but I'm sure it's the same problem). The workaround is this:

1) Just before producing the PDF, open and save all files in the book.

2) "Flatten" all text insets in the book (that is, convert them to text).

3) Create the PDF.

4) Close all the files _without saving_.

Obviously, step 4 is critical, or you no longer have any text insets. And if you have lots of books with lots of files containing lots of text insets, this is very tedious and error-prone. It's also highly scriptable, and as Alison suggested, Rick Quatro (frameexpert.com) is the man to see.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom