Restoring PDF icon to .pdf files after removing Reader

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Mon Jul 26 19:48:46 PDT 2010

Bernie,

Looks like you found one of the nasty side effects of concurrent installations and then trying
to repair the damage.

For better or worse, many applications don't simply associate a program with a suffix, but
register what is known as a "shell extension" into the Windows registry. Your uninstallation
of Reader 8.1 probably clobbered the shell extension for PDF (you can have only one of those)
and the result is the mess you saw.

Two possible fixups:

The simple one is to run Acrobat and go to Help=>Repair Acrobat Installation. That will trigger
the installer to try to assure that everything is kosher with your configuration including the
registry entries and all files associated with installation of Acrobat.

If that doesn't work, get the 2x4 with a nail in the end. As much as I hate this solution, here
it goes. Totally and utterly uninstall Acrobat 9.x. Reboot. Install Acrobat 9. That should fix
the problem. (I hate suffering from "Reinstallzheimers Disease!")

Also note that you should let Acrobat update your system to Acrobat 9.3.3 to fix a large number
of bugs and close some nasty security issues.

Good luck and good night!

	- Dov