FM 8 Unstructured Converting to PDF: Lose some text, headings, bullets in PDF only

Wed Jul 28 10:55:23 PDT 2010

Patricia.S.Michalak at aphis.usda.gov wrote:

> I'm using FM 8 in Windows XP and having a problem with one book (and not
> other books on which I worked recently).
>
> When I open the book and chapters/files, I get error messages indicating
> that some of the files are missing fonts and/or have unresolved
> cross-references. (The unresolved CRs don't show-up when I update the
> book.)

The unresolved cross-references are a temporary phenomenon caused by the missing fonts. When you open File A, if it contains xrefs to File B, FM tries to open File B silently in the background just to check ("resolve") the xrefs. If File B has missing fonts, FM can't open it silently -- it needs to alert you and find out what you want to do -- so the xrefs are (for the time being) unresolved.

Find and fix your font problem, and the xref problem will probably disappear. Art suggested one possible cause, but there could be others (especially since you have other books without that problem). After you tell FM to open a file with unavailable fonts, temporarily substituting an available font, look in the Console window to see what fonts are missing. If they're really supposed to be used, then you'll need to install those fonts.

But if it's just some obsolete cruft that came from an old version of a file or something, you might want to turn off Remember Missing Font Names and make the temporary replacement permanent. Search the archives for "unavailable fonts" to find detailed instructions for that and a host of other ways to deal with missing fonts.

You can search the archives using Google: <search string> site:lists.frameusers.com

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.