Active Areas from Frame-Generated Index(es)

Wed Jun 2 09:37:52 PDT 2010

Reng, Dr. Winfried wrote:

> I create only regular indices, and I get the behaviour I described
> and which I also found in official PDF files. You can get link
> areas across the whole line with regular indices. You do not
> need ALM or IOM.
>
> Did you check the paragraph format of your separators on the
> reference page?

Hmm, you're right. Randomly checking a few files, I see that in each, the SeparatorsIX pgf uses a different font than the Level<n>IX and IndexIX pgfs (in fact, in each case it's the same as GroupTitlesIX).

I have no recollection of ever consciously making that so, but I've consistently seen the behavior that this apparently introduces for many years, docs, and FM versions. And as I noted, that's the behavior of at least some of Adobe's docs (and of PDFs from other sources that I've encountered).

Mind you, I prefer that behavior, so I'm glad that someone long ago made SeparatorsIX different, and I have no intention of changing it. It seems odd to me to have the text of an index entry hyperlinked to the first of several pages that the entry references. It seems perfectly natural, OTOH, to click the page number -- even if there is only one.

But getting back to Eduardo's question, I suspect you've provided the answer for him: check the SeparatorsIX definition.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom