ARE: Framemaker 9 vs Microsoft Word

Tim J. Slager TSlager at isdcorporation.com
Thu Jun 3 10:35:58 PDT 2010

Frame is clunky; Word is quirky.

I have to agree numbered lists are Word's Achilles heal, although I can (usually) get them to work.

I worked for 10 years at a company where we used Word to create professional documentation with page counts reaching into the thousands with very consistent template styles and rare file corruption. We had the advantage of a developer who could make Word do almost anything and had custom tool bars and automated documentation generation built into Word. The flexibility allowed by VBA programming is a great strength of Word.

That said, there is something comforting about the stolid reliability of FM--once you get it figured out.

tims