Acrobat 9 Frustrations...

Chris Despopoulos despopoulos_chriss at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 8 06:50:17 PDT 2010

Hi all, and thanks for the help so far...

Yes, I found that it's the need of a patch that has caused my Acrobat problems.  Yes, I was completely blind, and failed to see the link to the patches...  If it was a snake it would have bit me -- I can never find the mustard in the refrigerator, either.

I currently have FrameMaker, build 8.0p236.  When I try to patch, the installer says I must have 8b236.  Note the change from P to B...
"You do not have the correct version of FM install (sic) on your system. This patch installer will work with only VERSION 8b236 build. Patch Installer will quit now. OK"

Given the language in that message, I'm not convinced that the "b" is intentional.  Nonetheless, I have 8p236 installed, and I have no other patches installed.

Here's what the Adobe patch download page says:
"This download updates the English, French, and German language versions
of Adobe® FrameMaker® 8p236 software (released in July 2007) to version
8p266. This patch will be available to customers who have the 8p236
build on their machine via Adobe Update Manager (AUM). "

What I have is 8.0p236, installed from an upgrade disk...  I bought an upgrade from 7.x to 8.  So I did not get my p236 via the AUM.  I installed it from a disk.  But now I can't install the patches.

Am I going crazy, or what?  Am I just so unused to installing software that I can't remember how to do it any more?  Or maybe there's something about Windows 7 that's keeping me from doing this?  Has anybody else successfully installed an upgrade version of Maker 8 onto a new Windows 7 machine, and then applied the patches?

Thanks for hanging in there with me...               cud