Broke Cross Refs to Text insets

Thu Jun 10 13:02:17 PDT 2010

Joseph Lorenzini

> I am using FrameMaker 9. In some of my books, I have cross references to
> content within text insets. For some unknown reason, they periodically get
> broken when i do an update. Then, I have to manually update the broken
> links
> and everything works fine again. Is there some obvious issue I am not
> accounting for that's causing this breakage?

How are you creating the xrefs?

When you update the book, FM retrieves fresh copies of the text insets from their source files/flows. If you created the xrefs by pointing them to the destination paragraphs (the standard procedure), then when the text insets are updated, the xref destination markers that FM created for you are overwritten.

The proper way to create an xref to a destination inside a text inset involves some extra steps.

1) In the text inset source file, put your cursor at the destination for the xref and select Special > Marker.

2) In the Marker dialog, set Marker Type to Cross-Ref and Marker Text to something meaningful that will allow you to identify the location of this marker later. Click New Marker.

3) Save and close the text inset source file.

3) Back in the file that contains the text inset, update the text inset.

4) Insert the xref as usual except: (a) in the Cross-Reference dialog, set Document to Current and Source Type to Cross-Reference Markers; (b) In the Cross-Reference Markers list, select the meaningful marker text you created in step 2.

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer