FM72. Tool to quickly makes loads of cross-refs?

Avraham Makeler amakeler at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 05:52:44 PDT 2010

Hi all,

  RE: FM72. Tool to quickly makes loads of cross-refs?

I just a received some whole new sections for updating an FM book. The book
is a large reference guide for an API. Every other word in the new material
is in fact the name of some software object (function, structure, or type)
that's defined somewhere else as its own section. The new material talks
about those already defined software objects and how to use them. So the SME
wants every mentioning of those already defined software objects to be
converted to a cross-reference. (Anyone who has documented APIs knows what I
am talking about.) Is there some sort of tool that allows you to type+select
the name of the section (function) or even just its legal number and then
click, and hey presto, the cross-reference appears?

Once, during a slow period, I programmed exactly that tool for Word using
VBA. Took me about a week. Works great.

TIA

     - avi