Appendix Numbering

Rick Quatro rick at rickquatro.com
Mon Mar 8 12:29:53 PST 2010

Joy has the right idea using the Chapter Number variable and <$chapnum>
building block because, internally, FrameMaker knows what "number" each
chapter is. So, once you get above chapter 26, then you switch your Chapter
Number Style to Text and put in the desired value (AA, BB, CC, etc.). Using
<$chapnum> (or <$volnum>) for this means that your "funny letters" will
appear in generated files, cross-references, and variables when you need
them to. Of course to make this practical you should do this with
FrameScript so it automatically happens whenever you update the book.

I just did something similar for a client that needed their chapter numbers
padded to four digits with leading zeros. Again, they just use FrameMaker's
Chapter Number Style set to Numeric so that the base numbers are always
correct. Before output, they run the script and it changes the Chapter
Number Style to Text and pads each value with the correct number of zeros.
Very clean and mostly automatic.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc.
585-659-8267
rick at frameexpert.com

*** Frame Automation blog at http://frameautomation.com

I feel your pain. Many government workers and lawyers do not know how
to count.

The way that FM counts beyond Z is correct: AA, AB,... . But AA,
BB, ... is not, however there is little that can be done about once it
has gone through the courts.

On one project I have various mixtures of counting styles drafted by
different legal firms and approved by various judges.

In the end I had to manually fix the numbering in each paragraph
format. Big pain but it worked. The upside is that the numbering is
never allowed to change.

Alan