translating into Icelandic and Serbian?

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson bodvar at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 08:34:14 PDT 2010

Hi Leigh,

We're getting there! ;-)

You are right, there is nothing really that FM can do as to
hyphenation and spellchecking in Icelandic. But let's say the text has
already been spellchecked, and only the hypenating is remaining. I
tried a special multi-national hyphenation tool, which at that time
(2007) did more wrong than right, but it could be checked out again.
It just adds soft hyphens everywhere possible and then FM can (with
setting to No Language) do the rest.
Otherwise, the text would need to be hyphenated by hand. A possible
"solution" would be to mif the document(s) and send to a TeX editor
which probably could make use of aspell or ispell for the hypenations,
and then export back as mif. I am not sure whether the text would
include the soft hyphens correctly.

I have just revisited Scribus (www.scribus.net). It is an XML based
DTP and should be able to import XML documents (I have not tested any
such features). It also has a built-in hyphenator for several
languages, including Icelandic.

If you think I could be of any help in this matter, I would be happy
to look into it.

Bodvar

--
"Life is not only a game--it is also a dance on roses."
	--Fleksnes (Rolv Wesenlund)