[framemaker-dita] ANN: Renaming DITA Map Topics

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 03:43:32 PDT 2010

I'm not sure whether Fm+DITA users are a shrinking population, Jeremy. My
experience is that existing Frame users keep using Frame to author DITA
content, mainly for two reasons:

1. DITA-FMx, which really integrates DITA authoring in a Frame production
environment (and most of them are already familiar with the unstructured
Frame environment).

2. DITA2PDF output. An experienced Frame user can easily design FrameMaker
templates, and then generate FrameMaker books from his ditamaps. And these
books can handle complex things like autonumbering schemes, pagination,
widow/orphan control, tables... You can even include "unstructured" content
(cover pages, portrait/landscape pages, "chapter cover pages"...) in your
books.
Some people even buy Frame just for this reason, because it gives them an
affordable DITA2PDF solution:

1 Fm license: $999
1 DITA-FMx license: $185.00
1 template: $2000 (but usually a lot less) ;-)
_________________________
Total: $3184

If there are people who can design FO stylesheets for this price (or lower),
but which gives me a PDF of the same quality, feel free to contact me. I'd
be happy to do business with you.

And hey, some people would even buy Frame and MIF2Go to convert their Word
content to DITA:

1. Open Word file in Frame.
2. Set up MIF2Go.
3. Go!
4. Run the ManageTopicRefNames scripts.
5. Done!

Anyway, I agree that we could really use good toolmakers like Rick (and you
too Jeremy, and Scott) in other DITA authoring environments than Frame.

Cheers

--
Yves Barbion
www.scripto.nu