Frame's File Comparison Feature

Tue May 4 12:16:47 PDT 2010

Alison Craig wrote:
> Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2010 11:49 AM

> In various List threads, I've read about using Frame's file comparison
> ability to determine changes from one release to the next. As a Frame
> newbie, I wondered if anyone could give me more information about this
> feature? Can it be used to mitigate the amount of translation sent to the
> Language Service Provider (LSP) and if it can, how do I do this?
>
> FYI: My current procedure is to send the LSP all the relevant native Frame
> (and Visio) files. I let them handle the MIF conversion (as I don't pay a
> project management fee, I let them work for their money. Besides, I have
> never worked with MIF files - but there is a first time for everything).
>
> Budget is always an issue, so if I need to buy any other tools to make this
> feasible, I would have to present an ROI case (even for something that only
> cost $100). But if there is a way to send a smaller amount of text and then
> put the files back together without a hassle once they were completed, I
> know I could swing the purchase of new tools.

What you're considering is (or should be) neither necessary nor desirable. Your translation vendor should be using a translation memory (and you should request a copy of it, since you've paid for it, so that you're not locked into this vendor because it's holding your translation memory hostage).

When you send an updated set of files for a book that's already been translated once, the unchanged paragraphs will match the translation memory. Only the portions that are new or changed need to be translated.

If your vendor isn't using translation memory, find a new one. If it is using translation memory, there's no point in you trying to dissect files and reassemble them -- you'd gain nothing and risk all kinds of problems.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom