Frame's File Comparison Feature

Reng, Dr. Winfried wreng at tycoint.com
Thu May 6 23:49:06 PDT 2010

Hi Steve,

I do not use XML yet. Therefore I may be wrong. Please
correct me, if this is not correct! My understanding is
this:

o Of course the translation memory system can import
  XML as easily as FrameMaker. Some systems charge
  additionally for a FrameMaker filter. Or XML (depending
  on the EDD/DTT) might need a special definition in the
  translation memory system to identify the part which
  needs to be translated (e.g. attributes).

o When you give XML files to a translation agency, the
  resulting translation memory could be re-used with
  other translation memory systems (via TMX) better
  than when you use FrameMaker files. FrameMaker files
  contains lots of information which is handled differently
  than XML.
  Therefore the number of pretranslated segments and fuzzy-
  matches would increase, _if_ you switch the system.
  (That's just an assumption. This could be wrong.)

o Translation cost saving calculations with XML are mostly
  based on chunking.
  That means only those chunks are translated which are
  actually changed. As DITA is supposed to split a FrameMaker
  file into more XML files as compared to a regular FM file,
  the files to be translated are smaller. This might save
  money.
  However, I could also use FrameMaker insets to have
  smaller files.
  Additionally, make sure that you will be notified of
  terminology changes. Such changes must also be done
  in already translated files.

o When you use XML as your primary storage format, infos
  like table column widths or graphics scaling get lost.
  I want to have this information present after translation.
  Therefore I would prefer to use structured FrameMaker and
  not XML. But that's my oppinion.
  (Possibly FrameMaker does store such information in
  processing instructions. Or someone wrote a plug-in
  for this. I do not know.)

Best regards

Winfried