Conref, conditional text, and filtering by attribute

Roger Shuttleworth rshuttleworth at avbasesystems.com
Mon May 17 08:33:09 PDT 2010

Hello All

FM 9.0 p250 (structured), DITA, Windows XP SP3.

I'm familiar with conditional text, not so familiar with filtering by attribute.

So far I've tried the following permutations:

1. Apply two conditions, Training and NotTraining, to the appropriate elements. The problem with this is that anything that is not tagged is IN, so I have to tag everything in order to eliminate it from the training guide. Is there a simpler way than that?

As I understand it, I should be able to apply a condition to parts of a doc, then reference it as an inset/conref, and do the show/hide routine in the container document - correct?

2. Using filtering by attribute... This is weird. I have a container document with a conreffed <task>. I tag the reference with <task audience="Training">, and apply a filter audience="Training". Everything stays put, as expected. But if I tag the contained <context audience="NotTraining" and apply the same filter, it filters out the whole <task>. I expected it just to filter out the <context>.

I've tried other things, but my brain hurts now and I can't remember.

So my bottom-line question is: What is the best way to obtain a small subset of a document?

Thanks.

Roger

Roger Shuttleworth
Technical Documentation