How to get Unicode text in markers (FM9)

Klaus Mueller mueller23 at web.de
Thu May 20 00:41:27 PDT 2010

Hello Wim,

Instead of translating MIF7, I strongly recommend to
translate MIF9 files. Until Trados does not support MIF9,
you can workaround this limitation by changing <MIFFile 9.00>
to <MIFFile 8.00> in the first line of the MIF files
before translation. As far as I can see, the new FM9 features
won't be altered by Trados.
You may want to check whether you can retranslate your
already translated files using the current TM.

If you cannot do a retranslation, you can fix your marker
contents the following way:
- Open the MIF7 files in FrameMaker 7.2p158
- Apply Arial CYR to your documents
- Transfer the marker content to body text
- Open the documents in FM9.0p250 (9.0.3) or later
- Retransfer the marker text to markers

Note that the problem does also occur with xref formats
and paragraph numbering.

One way for the marker conversion is to use the attached
FrameScript. The script does process all opened documents.
IXgen might be a solution, too.

Kind regards,
Klaus Müller, itl AG