Another issue with character encoding and Web Works Publisher

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Thu May 20 13:58:03 PDT 2010

On Thu, 20 May 2010 13:11:28 +0200, "Wim Hooghwinkel - idtp" <wim at idtp.eu> wrote:

>Additional to my other query, here' another one, for those who work with WWP
>2003.
>
>I'm not a frequent WWP user, so not very familiar with that tool.
>I'm compiling a help project based on Russian FrameMaker files (FM 7.2, WWWP
>2003 version 8.6.6587). We're creating a .chm file.
>
>All text goes ok in Russian characters, TOC is ok but the Index shows up as
>gabberish.
>
>Does anyone know what to do to get this Index correct in Russian characters?

The problem is that HTML Help does not support Unicode,
only Code Page mappings.  So Mif2Go (which you also have)
handles this correctly, and maps any Unicode Cyrillic to
the correct CP 1251.

This affects the TOC, Index, and Search.  It appears not
to affect the topic pane, because that uses IE for display
which *does* allow Unicode.  But that's an illusion.  ;-)

You'll need the most recent versions of Mif2Go files
on the Web, including the Beta components on the private
download page.  You should also download the ICU library
from there; we use it to convert FM8/9 Unicode back to
the code page.

This also applies to Greek, Czech, and Asian languages.

HTH!