Thought for the day

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Fri May 28 04:05:33 PDT 2010

Clearly we have a great range of international English expertise on this group: the thought of a collaborative dictionary of phraseology comes to mind. It would be very useful for those like me who often have to work in another English dialect: what to say, what not to say.

Many years ago I was slightly involved in a European collaborative project to research how software could be designed for easy localisation, and there are a great many more pitfalls than one might imagine.

I cannot resist a little levity for a Friday. My favourite story was about the Jamaican gentleman living in London who addressed his electricity bill only to 'Degenerate Bawd'. Allegedly it was correctly delivered.

--
Steve