Can the spelling checker be trusted? Yes!

Jenny Greenleaf jennygreenleaf at comcast.net
Fri May 28 13:01:50 PDT 2010

I was very pleased that the Adobe engineers were interested in my problem with the spelling checker not finding obviously misspelled words. Amit Agarwal and I traded several emails and files, and he found the reason and a fix. Co-incidentally, William's suggestion landed in my email box today as well.

Apparently character tags can be set to None for language, which makes the spelling checker skip the rest of the paragraph, even if it doesn't use that tag. Here's is Amit's workaround, which worked for me.  I'm glad to know the spelling checker isn't just batty. (Except for the corrections suggestions.)

THE STEPS I DID TO CORRECT THE PROBLEM:
	• Click in the document
	• Find panel → Select find Character Format
	• Press Shift + F8 key to make it "As Is"
	• Select "Language=None"
	• In Change → Select Character Format
	• Press Shift + F8 key to make it "As Is"
	• Select "Language=US English"
	• Click "Change All"
	• Spell Check again, Spell Checker should find the misspelled word.

In my file, I had a character tag used for run-in heads that was not set to US English. I had never really noticed that you can apply language to a character tag. I know now!

Anyway, thanks to all of you, and thanks to Amit who stuck with it until he figured it out. It does seem to be a bug that the spelling checker skips the rest of the paragraph. The misspelled word definitely carried a character format that was set to US English.

Jenny

Begin forwarded message: