FM7 to PDF / Gibberish in bookmark instead of cyrillic font

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Thu Nov 11 10:24:35 PST 2010

Anton,

You wrote:

>I am using FM7+Distiller5 and I must print a book into a PDF. All Cyrillic
>characters look fine on FM7.
>When I print the book into PDF, everything looks fine except the bookmarks
>which look for example like
>"Îäíîâ²åìåííûé çàïóñê êëèåíòîâ".
>
>Has anybody else encountered the same issue? Is there a solution instead of
>manually copy/pasting bookmarks?

The only solution is to upgrade to FrameMaker 8 or 9, which support Unicode
and carry over the text correctly to bookmarks in all supported languages
(including Cyrillic).

[Some workarounds/interim solutions are available for FM7 or earlier, but
since these require purchasing add-ons/scripts, it makes much more sense to
upgrade FM.]

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/Acrobat training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants