Best Adobe tool for creating context-based help?

Galanter, Lea Lea.Galanter at fticonsulting.com
Mon Nov 15 10:17:25 PST 2010

We're (the "we" being four separate doc sites) are planning to
transition from a system in which Word docs are transferred to
Dreamweaver (time-consuming) to using RoboHelp. (As an aside, I have
been producing documentation in Frame, but have only been producing
PDFs, not context-sensitive Help.) I bought the Adobe Tech Comm Suite
and will be authoring topics for context-sensitive Help in RoboHelp (as
well as other outputs). Because we're starting with new products, we'll
be writing topics from scratch rather than importing from Frame.

I don't have a lot of information about how the transition and the
process works yet, but I'm happy to stay in touch and share any pitfalls
and problems we encounter along the way. One thing we're making sure to
do is to plan, plan, plan -- topic structure, templates, style
guidelines, version control, folder structure, etc. I can say that
creating separate Help (the style guide) has been super-easy in
RoboHelp. My only complaint is creating styles for bulleted lists, which
seems to be impossible to do. Otherwise, I find RoboHelp quite easy to
use.

Lea Galanter
Lead Technical Editor and Writer
F T I Technology