Job Posting Question.

Alan T Litchfield alan at alphabyte.co.nz
Tue Nov 16 11:03:24 PST 2010

Thanks for your thoughts folks.

Dan: While I agree substantially with what you have to say we need to
remember that creating a parallel list does not presuppose that list
members are restricted to either one list or the other. People can
subscribe to both and get postings from both and when they subscribe
any list options are listed on the subscriptions page so they can
check which ones they want to subscribe to. The ensure knowledge a
line is already on the footer with a link to the subscriptions page.

Operationally a subscriber who has subscribed to both lists would not
see a lot of difference in their traffic. In other communities where I
have subscribed and that have multiple list structures the atomisation
of subjects does not appear to cause issues. It is also something that
is common in online forums, so for the average punter it is not a
foreign concept. I think you might even find that it increases the
target population with those subscribing to a jobbing list only and
vice versa for the technicals list.

It would take a lot of work for some one/people to police the
frequency at which job postings are made but in that yes, a policy
would be desirable.

Fei Min: The question was raised as to whether this forum would be an
appropriate place for people to begin making postings about their
availability for work (permanent, part-time, or contract), people
looking for work, and organisations looking for people. We are not
talking about what has historically been the case but what could
happen if the proposition were taken up. I then raised the question
that if the volume of job related posts increases substantially,
perhaps a new list specific to that type of posting be created. The
purpose thus to reduce noise on what is otherwise a fairly busy
technical mail list.

Certainly I am one who would make use of a second list. Anyway, its up
to the list owners, eh.

Cheers
Alan

--