System variable content doesn't appear

Tue Nov 23 15:38:09 PST 2010

Jon Harvey wrote:

> I'm entering various Running Header/Footer variables in a footer on a
> Master page and for some mysterious reason, their values aren't
> appearing on the Body pages. For example The Running H/F 1 variable has
> this value:
>

> <$paratext[Title]>dummmy text
>

> "Title" is the Paragraph tag I use on the cover page of my document.
> "dummy text" is text I added to the variable definition just to see
> whether any part of the variable was being recognized at all. I
> discovered that "dummy text" is appearing on the body pages but no
> content from $paratext[Title] is being displayed. I verified that there
> is text on the cover page that is tagged Title, so it seems that it
> should be showing up. It isn't. What gives?

The variable definition looks syntactically correct. Are you sure the pgf tag name is exactly correct? Case matters.

Is the Title pgf in the same flow? IIRC, it may need to be in order to be picked up.

Can't think of anything else right now. Have you tried specifying some other pgf tag name to see if the problem is with the variable itself or with the pgf it's supposed to reference?

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom