Inheriting formats when pasting

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 26 14:17:02 PST 2010

PureText is a useful tool, and I have it installed on my system. But it must be pointed out that in addiition to stripping out undesired character formatting, PureText also converts cross-references and references to variables into plain text, which is *not* what Andy wants to do.

I still think that a simple FrameScript that auotmatically invokes Defaut Para Font immediately after pasting the content would be the best solution.

But there is also another approach that may be useful, which deals with the formatting in advance of making the cut. If you have the insertion point in the destination paragraph (or any paragraph that is formatted like it) use Edit>Copy Special>Character Formatting (Alt,e,o,c) to capture the desired formatting for the text's new location. Then select the content to be moved and press Ctrl+v to apply that formatting. Then press Ctrl+x to cut the formatted selection, and Ctrl+v to paste it into the new location just like you normally would. If you find that the Alt,e,o,c key sequence is too onerous, it's not difficult to edit the command configuration file to add a more convenient keyboard shortcut for that command. (See the Customizing_Frame_Products.pdf file in the Documents directory of the FrameMaker installation for details.)

-Fred Ridder