"Color Definition / Print Setting... is inconsistent" error

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Sun Nov 28 22:22:26 PST 2010

The error means exactly what it says. There is som einconsitency in the print settings portion (e.g. Print As and Overprint/Knock Out)of the color defintion for one or more colors in one or more of your files. Each named color must have *exactly* the same definition in *all* of the files in your book or you will get this kind of error when you attempt to print.
On approach to fixing it is to carefully examine all the settings in all the definitions of one file in the book (or in your master template file) to make sure they are correct, and then use File>Import>Formats to import those color definitions to all the files in the book. This approach should work OK in FM7, but it does not always resolve all conflicts in FM8 (and presumably 9) when the inconsistencies occur in FrameMaker-generated colors that are generate on the fly to indicate text with multiple conditions applied to it.
-Fred Ridder