Dots in tag names

Roger Shuttleworth rshuttleworth at avbasesystems.com
Mon Nov 29 06:28:08 PST 2010

Hello Helen

The FM Structured Developer Guide says the following (page 144):

Element tags are case-sensitive, and they can contain white space but none of the following special characters:
( ) & | , * + ? < > % [ ] = ! ; : { } "

So it would appear that a period is allowed. However, if you are converting to XML (in which a period is also legal), be aware that the W3C recommendation is:

Avoid "." characters. If you name something "first.name," some software   may think that "name" is a property of the object "first."

Hope this answers your question.

Roger

Roger Shuttleworth
Technical Documentation