FM9 suggestions - why it keeps locking up

Mary Holder rholder2017 at mchsi.com
Wed Oct 13 19:40:20 PDT 2010

Hello Framers,

I am running FM9 on a laptop AND on a PC, both with Windows7.

FM9 works fine (98% of the time) on the laptop, but I cannot get it to run
more than 30 minutes on my PC without having to exit and restart FrameMaker.
Frustrated does not begin to describe my feeling!

The most common reason to exit is that the designers no longer work. I can
apply a style and apply and apply, and it doesn't take. I cannot see my
formatting, so I cannot continue. This is true for all of the designers.
(This is only true on the PC.)

Another thing it does is just stop responding. I look at Task Manager and it
says FM is running, but it does not respond to keyboard or mouse commands.
Also, just tonight, the document I was working on went completely black. A
few headings came back up, but that was it. I had to close FM using the Task
Manger.

I just reopened the document that died, and none of my changes were saved,
nor was an auto file created.

Does any of this make any sense at all? I usually have Internet radio
playing and Outlook in the background, but according to Task Manager I've
got plenty of resources.

Why would it work on the laptop, but not the PC? I'm just about to trash it
and go back to FM8! Please help.

Thanks,

Mary Holder

Owner, The Roving TechWriter