Preparing to Subversion FrameMaker Files

Galanter, Lea Lea.Galanter at fticonsulting.com
Mon Oct 18 10:15:36 PDT 2010

I have been using SVN and Tortoise with FrameMaker for the last few
years. It's "okay" but I am now making the switch to TFS and Visual
Studio, because our development team is switching from SVN to TFS (and
using Visual Studio for versioning).

My biggest problem with SVN was actually creating new branches or
folders and copying files in. For some reason, it never seemed to work,
and SVN is not very intuitive or user-friendly (at least not to me). I'm
actually finding Visual Studio a lot easier to learn and use. Then
sometimes when you replace a file in SVN with a newer one, you get this
strange red bar across the file after you commit it; not sure what that
means. I'm also tired of dealing with strange phantom files that no
longer exist on either my local machine or on the network server and
yet, SVN keeps telling me that the file is missing. So even when you do
things correctly, you'll get strange results.

As far as seeing differences, according to the Frame online Help, it has
a Compare Documents option (File>Utilities>Compare) Documents).

Feel free to send specific questions as well.

Lea Galanter
Lead Technical Editor and Writer
F T I Technology
lea.galanter at fticonsulting.com