off topic: e-drawings, eps files, frame and pdf

Tim Lewis ltc.writer at comcast.net
Tue Oct 19 11:07:19 PDT 2010

I like using the SolidWorks eDrawings and often prefer it because too many
times the engineers are either too busy to give me the drawings or the views
I need. It has been far easier to ask for .easm files that have been saved
for eDrawings. Then I open the file, rotate it to show what I need and hide
those elements that I do not need. Then I print the result to a PDF, which I
can import into Illustrator if needed.

Tim Lewis
Lewis Technical Communications, Inc.
ltc.writer at comcast.net

Jo:

According to my mechanical designer (Alex has been great - teaching me about
what I can do via AI with his SolidWorks stuff) there is pretty much *zero*
work involved for the engineers to Save As an AI file (or a DWG file if your
SoildWorks is older than the 2009 version) when they Save As to an EASM
file.

Is there a company protocol that forbids saving as an AI or DWG?

If not, I highly suggest you try to get the engineer to spend an extra few
seconds getting you what the user/customer needs - maybe bribe him with some
doughnuts or muffins ;-)).

In the past, I've had to use non-vector SolidWorks images and *no one* has
been happy with the results.

Alison