Graphics average weight

Thu Oct 21 08:45:48 PDT 2010

mathieu jacquet wrote:

> what is the average weight in Ko of your screenshots and illustrations? My
> docs are pretty heavy (up to 15-20 Mo), with graphics (mostly png) being
> around 15 Ko-70 Ko in average. That looks too much. What would the best
> solution be to reduce their weight (in batch if possible)?

I had a vague recollection that "octet" is synonymous with "byte," and a quick trip to Wikipedia confirmed that your references to "Ko" and "Mo" are probably file sizes. But I've never seen file sizes discussed in terms of weight and heaviness. Is that a French idiom?

To get meaningful recommendations for reducing graphics file sizes, you should probably provide more context. These docs that are 15-20 Mo (MB) -- are they PDFs? Or your FM source files? Or something else?

What graphics programs do you use to create and manipulate these graphics? What version of FM are you using? Are you importing by reference or copying into the document?

If the "heavy" docs are PDFs, what version of Acrobat and what job options are you using?

There are graphics gurus on the list (I'm not one of them) who can probably offer useful advice once they understand the question and have a little more detail. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom