Scale or change dpi to make a screen shot filt within printer margins

Bill Swallow techcommdood at gmail.com
Fri Oct 29 06:19:20 PDT 2010

Change the import DPI. This will retain the image quality while
reducing the size of the image by incorporating more dots per inch. So
long as you don't exceed 600 DPI for the image, it will print just
fine on your 600 DPI printer.

If you resize the image, in a photo editor or some such application,
you will be throwing away image information (pixels) and will be
forcing the software to reinterpret the pixel order of the newly sized
image, creating distortion/noise. Don't do that. ;-)

I have a rule for print to standardize screen shots (native 96 DPI) at
150 DPI. It reduces the image enough to not hog page real estate but
still makes the image easy to see. I adjust accordingly if I am
showing detail (tiny icons and such are imported at 96 DPI) or if I
have an abnormally large screen shot (perhaps imported at 180 DPI or
more) though I try to reduce the screens to the smallest native view
before capturing them to avoid this.

--
Bill Swallow

Twitter: @techcommdood