Text Inset anomalies

Dick Spierings d.spierings at fluidwell.com
Fri Sep 10 05:17:42 PDT 2010

All,

Thanks for the feedback! It contained a lot of useful background details.

What causes these problems is a series of text insets in a row with different heading styles (I know... I break the golden rule - but in this particular case I see no other solution).

I found out that a non-breaking space after the text inset does not resolve the problem: The next text inset still inherits the style from the preceding one (which makes sense). Even when I put a carriage return between the text insets, that CR inherits the style from the preceding text inset (even when preceding the CR with a non-breaking space).

What does work is the following:
1. create a para style (which I will call EMPTY) that looks like your body style, but has no line height nor space above/below and is side-head aligned. Make the size as small as you can without losing sight of the pilcrow in your text.
3. Start each text insets with a CR in the EMPTY style, followed by the actual content.
4. In the main document separate each text inset with a CR in the EMPTY style. Add a non-breaking space if you want to, but that has no effect on my system (FM9).

When you now update your text inset, the EMPTY style from the text inset is transferred to the main document (instead of your usual style). EMPTY overrules the style of the paragraph following the text inset. As this is a CR also based on EMPTY, nothing changes!

There is an issue of white space though: we now have two EMPTY para's between the actual contents of the text insets. If the line height of EMPTY is small enough you can compensate this though by decreasing the <space above pgf> setting for the 'first actual content' style used in the text inset. Make sure though that you use this 'first actual content' style only in text insets based on this principle, and not in the main text (duplicate if you have to).

Vriendelijke groet / Kind regards,

Dick Spierings

 +31 (0)413 343786
  www.fluidwell.com