Strange page number format

Nancy Allison maker at verizon.net
Wed Sep 15 08:50:41 PDT 2010

Hi. I'm using FrameMaker 7.1 in XP with SP3.

My Index is showing page numbers like this: 4-xiii.

The xiii is correct -- the page is from the Preface and is the 13th page of the front matter. The front matter is numbered with lc roman numerals. The page in question has the plain number xiii in the footer.

The 4 presumably comes from the fact that the Preface is the 4th document in the book, even though of course it has no official chapter number. The paragraph format I use for the title "Preface" is called TitleNoNum, and numbering is turned off.

So where is the 4- being picked up? How do I kill it?

Thanks!

--Nancy