Linking to folder on network

Fri Sep 24 09:38:27 PDT 2010

Ann Zdunczyk wrote:

> Another thing I found when working on network drives at Western
> Electric/AT&T/Lucent is that the Drive letter that is assigned to the drive
> needs to be the same on all machines that will be accessing the FrameMaker
> documents.

I don't recall the original question, so I'm not certain of the context. But in general, if you're putting links in a doc that point to another doc somewhere on the LAN, do _not_ use mapped drive letters. Specify the UNC path (but with forward slashes, as Simon said): //server/path/filename, where server is the hostname or IP address of the server on which the file is located and path is the directory path to the file.

Even if you're pretty certain that everyone in the company maps //zulu/rtfm/ to Z:/, don't point a link to Z:/techtips/newtip.pdf, point it to //zulu/rtfm/techtips/newtip.pdf.

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom