To remove local formatting from a paragraph

Mon Sep 27 11:24:59 PDT 2010

Avraham Makeler wrote:

> >> There is no analogous action  <snip>
> >> There is no container  <snip>
>
> Who cares? All I know is that is that sometimes I need a quick way to
> remove all the local formatting (incl. paragraph formatting) from
> a paragraph, so it appears according to its current style. For example: <snip>

It seems I didn't explain myself clearly enough. You wanted a paragraph-level command analogous to the "Default Para Font" command at the text-string/character level, and I was trying to say that's neither possible nor necessary.

The "quick way to remove all the local formatting (incl. paragraph formatting) from a paragraph, so it appears according to its current style" is simply this:

1) If there is char formatting to remove (e.g., parts of the pgf are formatted differently), select the pgf (triple-click) and click Default Para Font in the Character Catalog. If the pgf is all formatted the same, skip to step 2.

2) With the cursor in the pgf (or the pgf still selected), click its "style" (in FM, it's called a "format" or "tag") in the Paragraph Catalog.

3) There is no step 3.

At step 2, you can of course choose a different pgf format. And you can apply pgf tags quickly with the keyboard, too. So, if you've got defined pgf formats that meet your needs, you can walk the cursor through a doc, retagging pgfs as you go, at a rate of several pages per minute.

The quick way to remove all local formatting from all the pgfs in a doc, restoring them all to their defined formats, is to import paragraph formats (File > Import > Formats) from the current document with remove overrides selected. If the currently-applied tags are basically correct, this restores order quickly.

HTH!

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.