To remove local formatting from a paragraph

Chris Despopoulos despopoulos_chriss at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 11:02:19 PDT 2010

A few points...

I have a freeware tool called HuntOverrides that gives you a list of pgfs with
overrides.  It generates a hypertext list of pgfs that have overrides.  You can
navigate to them and fix them.  Find it at cudspan.net...

It occurred to me to make a tool that wipes out overrides, but for a full doc or
book I think you can do that via Import Formats.  So I never bothered.  I guess
it could make sense to make a tool like that, but I probably won't get around to
it.  On a similar vein, it would be easy to make a tool that reapplies the
catalog format for the current pgf.  You could also make it wipe out any
properly applied char formatting, I suppose (maybe two different choices).
Still, I'm not making so many tools these days, so I may not get around to that
for a while...

There's one problem with applied char formatting, whether from the catalog of
ad-hoc.  If you apply formatting to the last character in a paragraph, then it
applies that to the pgf symbol as well.  So you might make the pgf symbol bold.
In that case, the formatting is kind of sticky, and you usually have to click
around a bit before you can remove that formatting from the pgf.  For that
reason, I *always* add an extra space at the end of a pgf if I need to format
the last word in it.  I also happen to have a tool that maps new templates to
legacy documents.  It turns out I have to add a space at the end of every
paragraph if I'm swapping out char formats, for this very reason.  Otherwise,
the tool ends up not knowing when a char format has ended.  My bug, or
FrameMaker's?  Who cares...

HTH (but probably doesn't)              cud