Pgf numbering strangeness

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 30 05:43:49 PDT 2010

David's suggestion is accurate, but sadly irrelevant to Cynthia's problem. The chapter numbering properties David refers to only apply if the heading numbering uses the $chapnum system variable. The numbering scheme Cynthia outlines uses the older style of numbering that uses autonumber counters for all digits in the section numbers rather than using $chapnum for the first digit.

What Cynthia needs to look for is rogue paragraphs that increment the first counter in the "S:" numbering series, possibly without actually displaying any numbering in the text of the document. Unfortunately, that process can be extremely tedious, particularly if there are a lot of paragraph styles in the catalog or if there are a lot of paragraphs that have overrides since the numbering properties of each of these has to be examined individually. All of which is an additional good reason for using the $chapnum variable rather than a counter for the top-level numbering. Of course, that presupposes that every top-level section is contained in a separate file, because the $chapnum variable can only have a single value in any given file; the variable con only increment from one book component file to the next.

-Fred Ridder