files in book which end up with 2 pages

Sun Apr 17 19:45:17 PDT 2011

Theresa de Valence wrote:

> xp
> Frame 8
> Book has 10+ different master pages, but they are mostly simple changes:
> 1 column page, 2 column page, different footers left & right, sometimes
> a running header, sometimes not.
>
> In Book, Pagination is not available.

Pagination is a characteristic of the book's components, not of the book itself.

>  From the Book file, for the first file in the book, pagination is set
> to Double-sided, 1st Page Right, Delete empty pages before saving &
> printing, Every other file is set to: Double-sided, 1st Page side: read
> from file, delete empty pages.

As Michael said, set 1st Page Side to Next Available. Don't use Read from File.

> For each file, separately from book, Format/Page Layout/Pagination is
> set to Double-sided, 1st page Right (no option to follow from prior
> file)

Don't set pagination from within the file -- at least, not the pagination you want in the book. From within the file, there's no Next Available option because that concept is only meaningful in the context of a book.

FM accommodates the possibility that a given file might be used in more than one book and/or as a standalone document. So you can set pagination separately within the file and within the book window of each book in which it's included. But for a given book, you should make all the pagination settings in the book window. Set pagination from within the file only if you want to output that file as a standalone document.

> I have two problems:
> 1. The second file in the book has one page. I have manually set that
> page to Doublesided, 1st Page right, Delete Empty pages BUT every time
> generate the book, it ends up with 2 pages.

It has to. It starts on a right page. And you set the file following it to start on a right page. So there must be an empty left page between them.

> 2. The second is that I have different L and R master page formats and
> whether the first page is L or R depends upon what page # it is. I
> thought I was setting these inputs correctly, but maybe not.

Maybe I'm not understanding your problem. Or maybe you're not clear about how double-sided pages work. :-)

What you call the L and R master pages aren't that -- they're the Left and Right master pages. The assumption is you're producing a book bound in the traditional fashion so that when you open it, you're looking at a left and right page. (If you set pagination to Single Sided, there is no Left master page.)

Open a book (a real book) in front of you to page 1 of Chapter 1. Odds are it's a right-hand page. That's how you set up your first chapter: 1st Page Side set to Right. Turn to page 2. It's a left-hand page (the back of page 1). Page 3 is a right-hand page again. All the odd-numbered pages are right and all the even-numbered are left.

If the book's first chapter happens to end on a right-hand page, and the second chapter starts on the next available page, that will be a left-hand page. Likewise, in FM, a chapter file set to Next Available will automatically use the Left master for the first page if the previous file ended on a right-side page.

In general, however, the page layout for the first page of a chapter is different from the following pages. So in FM, we generally use a custom master page (e.g., First), not the automatic Left and Right master pages.

HTH. And apologies if I misunderstood your question and covered entirely the wrong ground. :-}

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom