Cover needs to bleed

Bill Swallow techcommdood at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 21:20:13 PDT 2011

You're over-thinking it. :) Set up the FM file per normal but don't
include it in the book file. Since it's the cover it shouldn't need to
flow with numbering and such but you can also work around that if you
do need to number by setting the numbering of the first page of the
book file appropriately.

So for the cover... 8.5"x11" layout in FM, but make sure all bleeding
graphics extend beyond the edge of the page. FM allows you to do this.
Just try. :) Then, when you PDF, set the PDF output page size to
8.75"x11.25" and have the FM page centered on the PDF output page.
You'll see the 8.5"x11" page centered on the PDF page with 1/8" extra
all around it, with graphics extending into that area.

I've done this for years for perfect bound professional pressed
covers, and am very happy that FM allows you to place graphics beyond
the page boundaries.