Cover needs to bleed - More Questions

Theresa de Valence TdeV at bstw.com
Sun Apr 24 10:59:30 PDT 2011

On 4/20/2011 21:20, Bill Swallow wrote:
> You're over-thinking it. :) Set up the FM file per normal but don't
> include it in the book file. Since it's the cover it shouldn't need to
> flow with numbering and such but you can also work around that if you
> do need to number by setting the numbering of the first page of the
> book file appropriately.
>
> So for the cover... 8.5"x11" layout in FM, but make sure all bleeding
> graphics extend beyond the edge of the page. FM allows you to do this.
> Just try. :) Then, when you PDF, set the PDF output page size to
> 8.75"x11.25" and have the FM page centered on the PDF output page.
> You'll see the 8.5"x11" page centered on the PDF page with 1/8" extra
> all around it, with graphics extending into that area.
>
> I've done this for years for perfect bound professional pressed
> covers, and am very happy that FM allows you to place graphics beyond
> the page boundaries.

I separated the inside/outside front/rear covers into their own book,
created 8.5x11" pages. The images were created in Photoshop and are
8.75X11.25" and then I imported the images onto separate master pages
and saved book as pdf which I have sent to the two printers who are
providing Cost Estimates for my project and asked them to ask their
pre-press guys if the documents I am sending will print properly.
Neither printer has responded, and I don't have hopes I'll eventually
hear from them, so I want to make sure I get it right the first time.

The book will be 8.5 x 11" when finished but the pages are 17 x 11" and
are folded in half down the long side and will be stapled or saddle stiched.

Does this not mean that the outside front and outside rear have to have
the image trimmed on the "joining" side, i.e. the images should be
8.625" x 11.25" for a properly bleeded image?

Thanks.