warnings, cautions, notes in sw documentation

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Tue Aug 2 07:57:53 PDT 2011

On 31/07/2011 11:42 PM, hessiansx4 wrote:
> Hello all! I've noticed that the legacy docs I'm currently working on
> use notes and warnings (no cautions) for a software product. I asked
> why a warning was used instead of a caution and was told: that's the
> way we do it here. I've only used warnings when bodily harm could
> result from some action. How are those of y'all in the sw world doing
> it? _______________________________________________

ANSI 2007 says:

****

  DANGER:  Indicates a hazardous situation which, if not avoided, will
result in death or serious injury. This signal word is to be limited
to the most extreme situations.

  WARNING: Indicates a hazardous situation which, if not avoided, could
result in death or serious injury.

  CAUTION: Indicates a hazardous situation which, if not avoided, could
result in minor or moderate injury. It may also be used without the
safety alert symbol as an alternative to "Notice".

  NOTICE: "NOTICE" is the preferred signal word to address practices
not related to personal injury. The safety alert symbol shall not be
used with this signal word. As an alternative to "NOTICE" the word
"CAUTION" without the safety alert symbol may be used to indicate a
message not related to personal injury.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers