Linking Problem

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 2 13:28:44 PDT 2011

As others have noted, the backslash is a reserved character in FrameMaker dialog boxes. There is a whole series of backslash codes defined to allow you to type special characters (i.e., characters that you can't produce directly from the keyboard with only the Shift key as a modifier) in dialogs. If you refer to Appendix B of the FrameMaker User Guide (in PDF form in the Documents directory of your FrameMaker installation) you will see that the substitutions in your hypertext command mostly match the backslash codes:
\D (Shift+d) produces a double dagger, as in your example
\M (Shift+m) is supposed to produce an em-space--no idea why it came through as "sm" in your example
\F (Shift+f) produces a florin, as in your example
\j is not defined and therefore comes through as literal characters, as in your example

The trick to get FrameMaker to render a literal backslash is to double it. But that doesn't explain why the doubled backslashes at the start of your pathname came through as doubled backslashes in the result--it should have come through as a single. To get doubled backslashes, you should theoretically have needed to type four in a row.

-Fred Ridder