Any way to hide unconditional text?

Gay Alson GALSON at epicor.com
Thu Aug 4 14:00:17 PDT 2011

I don't know if I badly explained my own thinking or if I misunderstood
the suggested procedure.

When I mentioned a "master" document, I originally envisioned it as one
big doc into which would be imported all text inset files. However, they
would NOT be imported to other files FROM this file - this is just a
master dump file for the purpose of holding metadata that could be
searched when writers want TI files to use.

After reading the idea of text flows, I put the four lines of metadata
into a separate text frame at the start of the TI template file (from
which each TI file will be made) and I named that flow tag "Metadata".
Then I imported each TI file, one at a time, into the "master" file and
when prompted which text flow tag to import, I selected "Metadata". The
result was just what I wanted: a .fm file containing ONLY the metadata.

I was afraid having the small Metadata text flow frame in the corner of
my main Flow Tag A would cause problems and some of your comments seem
to bear this out, so I'm experimenting with putting that little text
frame in a margin, outside Flow Tag A. So far, it doesn't seem to pose a
problem.

I still feel that Flow Tag A should be left alone as the container for
the main TI file - it's connected so pages continue as they should. Then
the few lines of metadata are in a separate area that can be imported
into the "master" (dump) file. It's the only time this text flow will
ever be used, and since the text in this small frame has a condition tag
applied that is routinely hidden, the "real" TI file can be edited,
imported where needed, etc., with no real change to existing TI
functionality.

At least, that's my theory!

Many thanks - as always - to you folks who so willingly give of your
time and ideas. This list is a fantastic resource.

~~Gay