How to enter Unicode Character in FrameMaker 10?

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed Aug 24 11:40:41 PDT 2011

On 24/08/2011 1:50 PM, Jeremy H. Griffith wrote:
> On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:00:44 -0500 (CDT), Nancy Allison
> <maker at verizon.net>  wrote:
>
>> Which of these cryptic codes to I use to get the
>> character into my text? HOW do I enter the code to do this?
>
> Copy and paste it from the windows char map tool.
> Open the char map, select Arial Unicode MS as the
> font, check the Advanced view box, select Unicode
> as the char set, after it type 2192 in the box,
> click Select, click Copy, then in Frame Paste
> Special as Unicode.
>
> No keyboard method I know of.

No keyboard shortcuts, but if you use the symbol often, you can create a
variable and insert that with a keyboard shortcut (Alt + s, v, first
letter of variable name, Enter).  (I'm speaking from an FM9 POV, but
FM10 probably works the same.)

When creating the variable, you can type the unicode in the form \u2192,
with no need to suffer the grim horror of the Character Palette.  (You
may need to first create a character tag specifying one of the fonts
that contains the arrow at that code point, and include the tag in the
variable definition.)

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers