Bookmarks and zoom level in PDF

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Tue Aug 30 23:12:47 PDT 2011

Carol,

You wrote:

>I think I should know how to fix this but apparently not. I'm using
>Acrobat 9 Pro Extended v 9.4.1. Problem: Bookmarks that I've manually
>created in a PDF have a different zoom than the bookmarks set for the PDF
>in Framemaker. For example, I may be viewing a page that displays at 100%
>and then click a bookmark and the resulting page displays as Fit Height.
>Setting the View->Zoom level for the document doesn't stick when you click
>a bookmark to a different page.
>
>Apparently Acrobat remembers whatever zoom was in effect when the bookmark
>was created instead of the default zoom level set for the document. What a
>pain. So now I have a 242-page PDF containing several hundred bookmarks
>that were created via Framemaker and by manually adding them to the PDF
>(at various zoom levels because how was I to know?) and the zoom hops
>about from one setting to another. Seriously irritating. I've tried
>selecting all of the bookmarks at one time and resetting the zoom level in
>Properties, but doing that also sets every bookmark to target one single
>page of your choice, thus defeating the purpose of bookmarks.
>
>Is there some setting that I'm missing when creating bookmarks that will
>apply the same default zoom to each page (so that I don't have to remember
>to be in the desired zoom when I create the bookmark)? And is there a way
>to change the zoom in my 242-page PDF so that all pages have the same zoom?

After you create the custom bookmark in Acrobat, right-click it to edit its
properties and select "Inherit Zoom" instead of the default "Fit Width"
setting.

Unfortunately, when you select multiple bookmarks and edit this properties,
you also reset the destination (and thus all affected bookmarks will point
to the same destination).

This applies to Acrobat 9 as well as X.

[ A different approach altogether would be to be define all custom
bookmarks in FrameMaker using hypertext markers in conjunction with the
FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers add-on, in which case you can specify the
required zoom, and you can also recreate the PDF whenever the source FM
file is updated, without having to redo manual post-creation work.
See examples at http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF15.html or
http://www.microtype.com/ImprovePDF.html ]

Shlomo Perets

MicroType, http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker/TCS live online training * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers/Assistants